PROF. BHAWANI SHANKER SHARMA
Born : 1945, Banasthali (Rajasthan)
B.A. (Fine) Painting, 1969, Faculty of Fine Arts, M.S. University, Baroda.
M.A. (Fine) Graphics, 1971, Faculty of Fine Arts, M.S. University, Baroda.
Mural Training, Banasthali Vidyapith
Ph.D. 1991, Kanpur University
Former Head of Deptt. Visual Art. and Dean Faculty of Fine Arts, Banasthali
Vidyapith (Deemed University)
Visiting Faculty, Aayojan School of Architecture, Jaipur.
Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi : 1965, 1971, 1975, 1979, 1981
Progressive Artist Group : 1979
Awarded Italian Govt. Fellowship : Academy of Fine Arts, Brera and Milan, Italy 1983-84
Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi : “All India Exhibition of Art” award - 1995
1 Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi Annual Exhibition.
2 Gujarat Lalit Kala Akademi Annual Exhibition 1968 to 1971 only.
1 Lalit Kala Akademi, Delhi
2 All India Fine Arts & Crafts Society, Delhi (AIFACS)
3 Bombay Art Society, Bombay
4 Academi of Fine Arts, Calcutta
5 All India Exhibition Mahakushal Kala Parishad, Raipur.
6 All India Drg. Exhibition, Lucknow, Organized by U.P. Lalit Kala Akademi.
7 All India Exhibitions of Drawings 84, Organised by Govt. College of Art Chandigarh & Chandigarh Lalit Kala Akademi.
8 All India Drawing Exhibitions Group-8, Delhi.
9 All India Print Exhibitions Group-8, Delhi.
10 All India Exhibition, Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi.
11 All India Graphic Exhibition of Prints-85, AIFACS, New Delhi.
12 Atul All India Art Exhibition-1991, Ahmedabad.
1 Modern Fantasy & Marchen Art Exhibition Tokyo, Japan 1979.
2 The Festival of India Travelling Exhibition of Graphics USA 1985.
3 International Print Biennale, Maastsich, Holland, 1993.
4 International Exhibition of Art WLRA World Congress at Jawahar Kala Kendra, Jaipur 1993 Organised by World Leisure & Recreation Association in Collaboration with India Leisure Studies Association and UNESCO.
5 6th Bharat Bhawan Briennale 1996 of Contemporary Arts (by special invitation).
6 Indian Contemporary Art Exhibition organized by Lalit Kala Akademi at Nicosia, Cyprus, 2005.
7 Exhibition titled “ Current Impressions” at Otterbein College’s Frank Museum of Art in Westerville,Ohio in 2008.
ONE MAN SHOW OF PAINTINGS & GRAPHICS :
India & Abroad:
1 Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi Gallery, Ravindra Manch, Jaipur 1975, 1978 sponsored by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi.
2 Triveni Kala Sangam, Delhi-1972.
3 Fine Arts Museum Chandigarh – 1972, 1975 sponsored by Fine Arts Museum Chandigarh University.
4 Jahangir Art Gallery, Bombay-1973, 1975.
5 Max Mullar Bhawan, Bombay – 1978, 1984 sponsored by Max Mullar Bhwan, Bombay.
6 San Diego, California (U.S.A.) – 1984
7 San Fedele Cultural Centre Milan – 1984 sponsored by San Fedele Cultural Centre Milan (Italy).
8 Retrospective exhibition organised by progressive Artist Group at Jawahar Kala Kendra, Jaipur 1995.
9 One man show organised by B.M.Birla Planetorium and Science museum at Birla Science Museum, Jaipur-1997.
10 Exhibition of paintings and graphics at Shanta Art Gallery, Delhi-2005.
11 One man show at Hotel Clarks Amer, Jaipur-2006.
12 Several one man shows at Banasthali.
1 Exhibition of Paintings Drawings at AIFACS Delhi with staff and students of Banasthali. Organised by Banasthali Vidyapeeth – 1952.
2 Young Artists Exhibition organised by International Cultural Centre, New Delhi.
3 Mayur-6 exhibition, Jaipur 1980.
4 Exhibition at Suchna Kendra, Ajmer 1975.
5 Banasthali Art Exhibition Ravindra Bhawan, New Delhi-1977.
6 Progressive Artists Group Exhibition, Lalit Kala Gallery Jaipur- 1979, 1980.
7 Progressive Artists Group Exhibition, Regional Centre, Madras-1984.
8 Print Makers Camp Exhibition at Ravindra Manch organized by Takhman-1985.
9 Progressive Artists Group Exhibition, Rajasthan School of Art, Jaipur-1987.
10 Progressive Artists Group Exhibition, Jahangir Art Gallery, Bombay-1987.
11 Progressive Artists Group Exhibition, Academy of Fine Arts, Calcutta-1989.
12 Progressive Artists Group Exhibition, Sahitya Kala Parishad, Delhi-1990.
13 Progressive Artists Group Exhibition, Madhya Pradesh Kala Parishad, Bhopal-1992.
14 Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi Exhibition Silver Jublee Mobile Exhibition 1983.
15 Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi Exhibition, Rajasthani Artists Exhibition, Lucknow – 1981.
16 Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi Exhibition, Rajastahan Artists Exhibition Ahmedabad & Bombay – 1981.
17 Artists from Rajasthan Exhibition Janhangir Art Gallery – 1984, Bombay organised by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi.
18 Exhibited in all India Rastriya Kala Mela organised by National Lalit Kala Akademi & by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi (RLKA).
19 Contemporary Art of Rajasthan Exhibition – 1990 organised by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi (RLKA) at Jahangir Art Gallery, Bombay.
20 “Artist Family Exhibition” at Jahangir Art Gallery Bombay – 1994.
21 “Contemporary Art Exhibition of Rajasthan” at Rashtriya Kala Mela, Calcutta-1996 organised by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi.
22 “Contemporary Art Exhibition of Rajasthan” at Art Gallery Rashtriya Kala Kendra, Bhuvneshwar-1996, organised by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi.
23 Forty years of Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi “Art Exhibition-1997”.
24 Invited for “Colours of Rajasthan” exhibition at the occasion of “Golden Jubilee of
Freedom” organized by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi and Jawahar kala Kendra in Jaipur-1998.
25 2nd “All India Art Biennial Exhibition of Rajasthan 1999”, organized by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi – 2000.
26 “Graphic Expressions Print Show 2000” by Cymroza Art Gallery,at Delhi,Bombay Chennai and Calcutta.
27 “Contemporary Art of Rajasthan” exhibition at Kala Dirgha, Kota by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi as invitees artist October 2001.
28 Exhibited in 42nd Annual Exhibition of Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi as invitees artist.
29 Participated in contemporary art of Rajasthan organized by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi for inter state art exhibition (under exchange programme) as invitees artist at Lucknow form 20 to 25 September 2001 at Goa and from 1 to 6 October 2001.
30 Invited for `Art Exhibition Contemporary Indian Paintings : Tradition to Modernity at Kunststation Kleinsassen, at FULDA (Germany) (6 June to 1 July, 2001)
31 Alumni of Faculty of Fine Art, Baroda; Exhibition sponsored by Welcome Group, Rajputana Shereton, at Sristhi Art Gallery, Jaipur 14-20 April, 2001.
32 Invited for “Contemporary Art from India” Exhibition 6-20th June 2002 at AKADEMIE FÜR GESTALTUNG UND DENKMALPFLEGE EBERN, Germany.
33 Participated in “Kala Jathrae 03” exhibition 27th Feb to 3rd March 2003 at venkatappa Art Gallery, Bangalore, organized by “Art House, Bangalore” .
34 Art Awareness camp exhibition at Suchana Kendra,Kota from 10 to 12th Feb 2001.
35 Invited for 11th kala Mela 2003, exhibition by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi, at Jawahar Kala Kendra Jaipur.
36 Exhibition of Paintings at open Palm Court Area, India Habitat centre, Delhi from 8 th 14 Jan 2004.
37 Invited for the exhibition at Patiala and Chandigarh oganised by Jawahar Kala Kendra Jaipur, North Zone cultural centre, Patiala and Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi in Nov 2002 - 03.
38 Participated in exhibition on “Evil Face of Global Terrorism” organized by Sanskar Bharti at Rabindra Bhawan, Delhi in April 2002.
39 Senior Artist’s exhibition at Palace Art Gallery, Bikaner in March 2002.
40 Invited for 12th Ravi Jain Memorial Foundation exhibition on contemporary Indian Art at DMG Mega Art Complex, New Delhi in September 2003.
41 Exhibition for a cause by muskan at Awedhna Ashram at santokba durlabhji from March 13th to19th and at Rajputana Palace Sheraton from Mach 22nd to 28th 2004.
42 Participated in exhibition of graphic prints “Impressions” at Jawahar Kala Kendra,Jaipur.
43 Participated in 48th Nattional exhibition of Lalit Kala Akademi at Bombay in 2005.
44 Family Exhibition of Paintings, Graphics and Fresco at Hotel Rajputana Palace Sheraton in December 2005.
45 Artist camp show at Lalit Kala Reigonal centre Lucknow in 2007.
46 Artist camp show at Bhubneshwar in January 2008.
47 Artist camp show at Ashoka Hotel,Delhi in May 2008.
Visited Italy, France, Switzerland, UK, USA, Canada.
MEMBERSHIP OF ACADEMIC BODIES:
1. Member Selection Committee for Lecturer in Drawing & Painting Savitri Girls College, Ajmer, 1980.
2. Member Selection Committee R.P.S.C. Ajmer for School Lecturer in Drawing and Printing 1990.
3. Member Selection Committee R.P.S.C. Ajmer for college lecturers, 1995.
4. Member Selection Committee for selecting senior lecturers Kumanun University, Nainital 1995.
5. Member Selection Committee for selecting senior lecturer in Department of Fine Arts, 1995, Kashi Vidyapith, Varanasi.
6. Member Judging Committee for Annual State Art Exhibition Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi, 1991.
7. Edited Akrati News Bulletin (Monthly) published by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi.
8. Member Executive & General Council, Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi.
9. Member Publication Committee, Research Board Committee & Gallery of Modern Art of
10. Amber Gallery Committee Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi.
11. Convenor B.O.S. Visual Art and Convenor Faculty of Fine Arts Banasthali Vidyapeeth Deemed University.
12. Member Academic Council Banasthali Vidyapith.
13. Member B.O.S. Agra University, Agra.
14. Member Research Board Committee, D.E.I. Dayalbagh, Agra.
15. Member B.O.S. D.E.I. Dayalbagh, Agra (Past)
16. Member B.O.S. Allahabad University, Allahabad (Past).
17. Member B.O.S. Rajasthan School of Art (Past).
18. Member B.O.S. Rajasthan University (Past).
19. Member B.O.S. Kumaun University, Nainital (Past).
20. Member B.O.S. Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University Srinagar-Gorhwal (Past).
21. Membe B.O.S. Jai Narain Vyas University, Jodhpur.
22. Member Judging Committee for Poster Competition organised by Labour Commissioner, Jaipur, 1995.
23. Member of the panel of jury for All India Kalidas Samaroh, All India Exhibition of Painting and Sculpture 1999.
24. Edited “Akrati News Bulletin” published by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi.
25. Member Panel of Jury appointed by National Lalit Kala Akademi for Kala Mela-2002 organised by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi.
26. External Member Faculty Aayojan School of Architecture, Jaipur.
27. Member Governing Council Rajasthan School of Art..
28. Founder Member Progressive Artist Group, Rajasthan – (Registered) organised exhibitions, Artist Camps, Publications & Video Films as regular activiting of the group and have been president of the group for few years.
29. Founder Member– Mayur-6 – Banasthali (Registered) organised exhibitions and other art activities for the group.
30. Member B.O.S. M.L.Sukhadia University Udaipur.
31. President Alumni of Fine Art (Afa), Baroda [Rajasthan Chapter].
32. Member Judging Committee – All India Public School cultural festival 2001 organised by Mayo Girls College, Ajmer, 23, 24, 25 Aug. 2001.
33. Member Excutive Committee & General Council, Banasthali Vidyapith.
34. Member selection Board as subject expert for selection of faculty members, Aayojan School of architecture, Jaipur.
35. Peer team member designated for assessment and accreditation of Kannad University Humpi by National assessment and accreditation council, Bangalore (An autonomous institution of UGC).
36. Member Genreal council National Lalit kala Akademi nominated by the department of culture , Government of India as its representative to serve on the General Council of the Akademi for a period of five years (2003 – 2007)
37. Member Publication committee Nationl Lalit Kala Akadmi, New Delhi
38. Member Research Board Committee Drawing & Painting, Chatrapati Sahu Ji Maharaj University, Kanpur.
39. Member Board of Studies Fine arts, Chatrapati Sahu Ji Maharaj University, Kanpur
40. Member pear Team for National assessment and accreditation (UGC) for Jawaharlal Nehru Tech. University, Hyderabad 2004.
41. Member pear Team for National assessment and accreditation (UGC) for Chitrakala Parishad, Bangalore 2005.
42. Member pear Team for National assessment and accreditation (UGC) for Rajiv Gandhi Government PG College,Mandsaur 2006.
- Monograph on Mohan Sharma published by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi in 1990.
- Monograph on Prof.Deokinandan Sharma published by Lalit Kala Akademi in 2006.
- Monograph on Shri Kripal Singh Shekhawat published by Lalit Kala Akademi in 2007.
EXTERNAL EXAMINERS IN VARIOUS UNIVERSITIES :
- Rajasthan University, Jaipur.
- Rajasthan School of Art, Jaipur.
- Ajmer University, Ajmer.
- Kanpur University
- Agra University
- Kumaun University, Nainital
- Indira Kala Sangit Vishwavidyalaya, Khairagarh.
- Rohilkhand University, Bareilly.
- Dayalbagh Educational Institute (Deemed University), Agra.
- Punjab University, Chandigarh
- Kashi Vidyapeeth, Varanasi.
- Allahabad University, Allahabad
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Jodhpur University, Jodhpur (J.N.U. University, Jodhpur)
- Vikram University, Ujjain.
- M.L. Sukhadia University, Udaipur.
- Maharshi Dayanand Saraswati University, Ajmer.
Examiner for Ph.D. Thesis :
- D.E.I. Dayalbagh (Deemed University)
- Kanpur University, Kanpur
- Agra University, Agra
- Rohilkhand University, Bareilly
- Meerut University, Meerut
- Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University, Srinagar Gorhwal.
- Research Guide, Banasthali Vidyapith
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Vikram University,Ujjain
- Purvanchal Vishwa vidyalaya, Jonpur.
- Kashi vidyapeeth,Varanasi.
- Bundelkhand University,Jhansi.
Workshops and Artists Camps attended:
1. Attended workshop on grading system organised by University of Rajasthan, 1975.
2. Artist Camps at Udaipur organised by National Lalit Kala Akademi, 1979.
3. Attended Vipnan Gosthi at Jodhpur organised by All India Handi Crafts Board, 1977.
4. Print Makers Camp organised by Takhman-28 at Jaipur, 1981.
5. Invited as resource person for refreshers camp of drawing teachers by Board of Secondary Education Rajasthan at Ajmer, 1981.
6. Print Makers Camp organised by Progressive Artist group – 1983 at Jaipur.
7. Invited in the D.E.I. – U.G.C. workshop to Frame a Course of Study of Post-Graduate level in Drawing and Printing by D.E.I. Dayalbagh (Deemed University) Agra from July 19 to 24, 1984.
8. Organised Fresco Camp at Bankunthi Devi Mahila Mahavidyalaya with Prof. D.N. Sharma – 1984 Agra.
9. Invited by American Centre to attend the workshop in Print Making from January 14-19, 1985 conducted by Prof. Paul Lingren (of Sen Diago University,U.S.A.) at Garhi Studio, Delhi.
10. Artists Writers Camp at Magh Mela Allahabad organised by Cultural Affairs Deptt. of U.P., January 1985.
11. Painters Camp organised by Progressive Artists Group from May 19-22, 1985 at Dundlod (Shekhawati) Rajasthan.
12. Print Makers Camp at Jaipur from May 22-26, 1985, 86 organised by Takhman.
13. Artists Camp at Mount Abu, organised by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi, 1985.
14. Youth Camp & Workshop on Painting, Art & Craft sponsored by Ministry of Human Resource Development, New Delhi attended workshop as expert 1988 at Juharidevi Girls Post Graduate College, Kanpur.
15. All India Artist Camp at Shimla organised by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi 1987.
16. All India Artist Camp at Delhi organised by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi-1990.
17. All India Artist Camp at Goa organised by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi with Cooperation with Goa Art Akademi from 1995.
18. All India painting Camp organised by Jammu Kashmir Akademi of Art, Culture and Language at Patani Top (Jammu) 1995.
19. Participated in Painters Camp at Lucknow organised by Lucknow Regional centre Lalit Kala Akademi, Delhi from 28 March to 3 April, 2000 at Lucknow.
20. Art Awareness Camp at Kota Soochna Kendra from 10-12 Feb 2001.
21. Invited as resource person by Salvan Montessary School, Rajendra Nagar New Delhi for “A workshop for teching fraternity of Salvan Group of Schools”, form 23 to 24 August 2002.
22. Organized print making workshop at Visual Art Deptt. Faculty of Fine Arts, Banasthali Vidyapith 21st to 26th Feb., 2003.
23. Participated in “All India Senior Artists Camp” organized by All India Fine Arts & Crafts Society Delhi, at Bikaner on its Platinum jubilee celebrations 2002-2003 between 10th to 15th March 2003.
24. Participated in Workshop at Kota from 22nd to 24th March 2003 on “Conservation of Wall Paintings of Rajasthan” on the request of Govt. of India Deptt. of Cultural National Museum Delhi.
25. Participated in “Kala Varta” during Jaipur Virasat week organized by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi and Jawahar Kala Kendra at Shilpagram, Jaipur.
26. Artist Camp at Lalit Kala Reigonal Centre Lucknow,2007.
27. Artist Camp at Bhubaneshwar organized by Orissa Lalit Kala Akademi and Department of Tourism & Culture in 2008
28. Artist camp at Ashoka Hotel,Delhi,organized by I .T.D.C. 2008.
29. Artist Camp at Jaipur, organized by Jawahar kala Kendra.2008.
NAME INCLUDED IN FOLLOWING BOOKS:
- Artist Directory – 1981,2007
Published by Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi.
- “Avant Garde Artists of Rajasthan”
Published by – Progressive Artist Group, Jaipur.
- Biography International – 1990 (Vol. III/IV)
(Biographical Historiete on Men & Women of Achievement & Distinction)
Published by – South Asia Publication Co. Delhi.
- Dictionary of Modern Art & Artists
Editors – Mrs. Pratima Seth & Mrs. Barbara Bayani (in Press)
- “Dus Samsamyik Kalakar”
Published by – Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi, Jaipur.
SEMINAR, LECTURES AND DEMONSTRATIONS AT :
1. Savitri Girls College, Ajmer on “Basic Elements of Art” – 1981.
2. Mayo College Ajmer on “History and Techniques of Graphics”-1981
3. Juhari Devi Girls College, Kanpur under U.G.C. Cohssip Scheme on “Graphics with Demonstration – 1981”.
4. Acharya Narendra Dev Mahapalika Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Kanpur under U.G.C. Cohssip Scheme on “Graphics with demonstration-1982”.
5. Shri Kund Jain Degree College Khatauli (U.P.) on “Fresco Techniques” with demonstration-1982.
6. Rajasthan School of Art on Fresco Technique – 1982.
7. Suchana Kendra, Jodhpur on “Adhunik Citrakala” with slides organised by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi-1982.
8. Presented paper on “Kala Ki Adhunikta Ke Sarvabhomik Tatva” in Seminar organised by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi, Jaipur-1983.
9. Organised mobile exhibition on Silver Jubilee celebration of Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi – 1983.
10. Delivered Lecture on “Italian Art” with slide show at Bankunthi Devi Mahila Mahavidyalaya-1984.
11. Rajasthan School of Art-Demonstration on Lithography (Graphics) and Lecture with slide show on Florence (Italy) – 1985.
12. Delivered lecture on “Contemporary Art” at Allahabad University – 1987.
13. Lecture, Slide show & Demonstration on Print making for in service Education course for Art teachers of K.V.S. Regions, V.Z.Jammu, Chandigarh, Delhi, Jaipur & Ahmedabad held at Kendriya Vidyalaya-2 Jaipur.
14. Youth camp & workshop on painting Art & Craft sponsored by Ministry of Human Resource Development, New Delhi attended workshop as an expert at Juhari Devi Post Graduate Girls College, Kanpur in 1988.
15. Delivered Lecture & Slide show at Gallery of Greater Victoria, Canada on “Rajasthan Art Tradition” - 1991.
16. Delivered lecture & slide show on “Rajasthan Mandana Folk Tradition” at University of Victoria, Faculty of Fine Arts, Victoria, Canada - 1991.
17. Invited as guest speaker in print making conference “Art in the common wealth” organized by Art Class International at Universtiy of Victoria, Canada 1991.
18. Presented paper on “Bangal School painters and Adhunik Kala Drashti” in national seminar organized by Allahabad University at celebration of the birth centenary of the renowned Bangal School painter Kala Guru Kshitendra nath Majumdar on 11-12 November 1991.
19. Lecture and Slide show on “Sawai Madhopur Ke Mandana” at D.A.V. College Kanpur with colaboration of North Zone Cultural Centre Allahabad – 1994.
20. Delivered Lecture and Demonstration at Drg. & Painting Dept. Govt. College Kota in “Print making Technique” – 1995.
21. Presented paper on “Adhunik Bhartiya Kala Ki Vartman Istithi Aur Disha” in All India Seminar organised by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi at Jaipur-1995.
22. Delivered lecture & demonstration on Fundamentals of Art and Techniques of painting at Kendriya Vidyalaya-1, Tonk Fatak, Jaipur-1995.
23. Written commentary for the video film on senior artist Shri B.C.Gue prepared by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi-1995
24. Paper represented on “Vishwa Vidyalaya Shiksha Mein Lalit Kalaon Ka Vyavsayik Swaroop” in National conference sponsored by U.G.C. at Fine Arts Barielly College (U.P.) 1996.
25. Lecture on “Handmade paper Artists point of view on painting, etching and linocut, woodcut for orientation course training programme to interpreneurs at Kumarappa National Handimade paper Institute, Sanganer Jaipur on 23rd January 1996, 27th Feb. 1996 and 2nd April, 1996.
26. Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi, Jaipur dwara aayojit Swargiya Mohan Sharma Smriti Vyakhyan Mala Mein “Rajasthan Mein Kala Shiksha Ke Pachas Varsha” par Paper Padha, 1997.
27. Invited in workshop on “Pattern a game of infinity” as resource person at Jawahar Kala Kendra, Jaipur, 1997.
28. Participated in the seminar & workshop on `Modern Arts’ and creative sculpture held on 8.9.1999 at Drawing and painting department, Sona Devi Sethia Girls College, Sujangarh (Raj.)
29. Invited in interactive seminar session on 26 Nov. 2000 – “Urban renewal and redevelopment with public participation” organised by Aayojan School of Architecture.
30. Attended workshop on Basic Design organised by Architect Kul Bhushan Jain from C.E.P.T. Ahmedabad at Aayojan School of Architecture 29 Novemebr 2000 as a resource person.
31. Participated in seminar organised by Rajasthan Lalit Kala Akademi at 9th Kala Mela at Jawahar Kala Kendra on “Rajasthan Ki Swatantrauottar Kala Yatra” on 10-1-2001-
32. Lecture & Slide show related to VISUAL ART at Jawahar kala Kendra, JAIPUR on 28 April 2001.
33. Participated in “Art Awareness-2001” – Exhibition, Workshop and given Lecturer and Slide show at Kota from 10 Feb. to 12 Feb. 2001 organised Art Awareness-2001 at Soochna Kendra, Kota.
34. Presented paper at national Regional Centre, Lucknow on the topic “Role of Art Institutions in Imparting Art Education” from 24 to 26, 2001.
35. Participated & delivered lecture at National Open University, seminar on “Development of Course on Tourism” From 24 to 26 Feb. at Jaipur.
36. Participated & given Lecturer in State level Seminar & Workshop on “Sanskritik Dharohar Seva Vahini” organized by Deptt. of Culture & Tourism from 19 to 20 May,2001 at Jawahar Kala Kendra, Jaipur.
37. Presented paper in National Seminar on “Rajasthani Sanskritik Parampara ke Prateek Sawaimadhopur ke Mandne” organized by Deptt. of History,Banasthali Vidyapith (Rajasthan).
38. Invited by I.N.C.D. Canada for international conference “International Net work for cultural Diversity at Lucerne (SWITZERLAND) from 21st Sept. to 23 Sept,2001.
39. Invited for the “Contextual Issue of Significance to the Jaipur city”–Architects, Artist Academician professional and related bureaucrats are on common platform, Seminar organized by Aayojan School of Architecture, Jaipur on 4th Jaunary 2002.
40. Invited for “Talk on Health and Art” at Rajasthan Go Sewa Sangh Baba Balwant Singh Panchagvya Chikitsa avam Anusandhan Kendra, Durgapura Jaipur, on 16 June 2002.
41. Invited by The Department of Fine Arts Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapith University, Varanasi for Painting Demostration, 26th Oct 2002.
42. Invited for the the workshop “Conservation of wall Painings of Rajasthan” at Kota by National Musimum Delhi from 22 to 24 March 2003.
43. Organized Fresco Conservation Workshop in joint colobration with National Museum Delhi at Visual Art Department Banasthali Vidyapith 2003.
44. Organized National Seminar on “Globalization and Art” in Visual Art Department, Banasthali Vidyapith from 12-14 March 2004 and Presented Paper on “Tradition and Modernity.”
45. Invited for presentation in Annual Seminar Organized by Aayojan. School of Architecture,Jaipur on Arts,Graphics and Architecture.
46. Appointed to review the Manuscript ‘Kala and Kalakar’ by Rajasthan Hindi Granth Academy, Jaipur.
47. D.A.V College Kanpur invited for talk on “Atankvad va kala” sept.11th,2003.
48. Mahila mahavidyalaya, kanpur invited for painting demonstration on sept.12th,2003.
50. Special feature on Drawings published in Madhumati in aug.2003 issue.
51. Invited for the seminar on printmaking organized by IGNCA,Delhi and Manhattan Graphics Centre,New York in November 2004 at Delhi.
52. Organised workshop on woodcut at Aayojan School of Architecture during 10-12 November,2005.
53. Organised Arayash workshop at Indian Institute of Craft and Design in April,2006 Jaipur.
54.Organised Arayash(JAIPUR Fresco) Workshop at Art College Chandigarh,2008.
The Times of India, Saturday, June 12, 1971 DELHI
............... of particular merit are the graphics of B.S.Sharma who shows not only competence in handling the processes of printmaking, but also imaginative liveliness, sensitivity and creativity. I hail him as a welcome addition to the ranks of our good graphic artists.
Hindustan Times, 20th November, 1972 DELHI
............ Bhawani Shakar Sharma’s graphics (Triveni) have a fine sense of design and his Craftmanship is of a higher order. Traditional imagery has been given a crisp, modern flavour and ventures into the abstract. The lithograph titled “Speed” has clearity and force.
The Tribun Wed. Nov. 29, 1972
EXHIBITION OF B.S.SHARMA’S GRAPHICS
The requiring theme of Mr. Sharma’s graphics is the peacock, a bird, which he seems to have studied with great love and a fine sence of observation. There is no conventional rendering of the bird in these works. It is in an unusual light that we see him here: alert, curious, in flight, arching his neck ardently skywards. There are other subject too that Mr. Sharma treats, but it is the peacock which lingers in the mind after one has been in the show.
The Indian Express, Bombay, Monday, Oct. 13, 1975 :
DRAWINGS IN OILS
Bhawani Shanker Sharma, Currently at Jehangir Art Gallery seems to prefer oils to water colours or inks or pastels in rendering on the spot spontaneity. He is justified in his medium for his drawings in oils are not mere `copies’ of his observations. They evince an underlying strivings after the finner form and the quintessence of the artists observations as in `Peacock 3 or Towards the Temple’.
Another interesting aspect of this collection is the artists insistence on minimum of lines forms as in Peacock 2. There is also a certain dynamism I n the verticles and diagonals as in `The Studio’.
The Times of India, Bombay, Saturday, October 21, 1978:
YOUNG PAINTERS WITH PROMISE ON SHOW: BY DNYANESHWAR NADKARNI
SCENES OF FAIRS:
He leaves the canvas white and paints in big bold strokes balloons floating up in the air and other decorations typical of a fair ground. The human figures, often women are filled in to accentuate the play of perspective.
There are two big drawings here called `Huts’ and they suggest that Sharma is a skilled draughtman. A painting such as “Attraction”, showing women walking towards the distant booths in a fair, is distinguished by a big swathe of red in the foreground corner.
Hindustan Times, Delhi 13th Feb. 1977 :
DELIGHTFUL BANASTHALI PERFORMANCE
................ B.S.Sharma was able to create impressionistic vignettes of Rajasthan’s colourful festivals. What was most refreshing about his style was that it was modern in feeling without being derived from any modernistic style now current.
The Times of India, Delhi, Friday, October 16, 1981 :
NEAT SHOW BY RAJASTHAN PROGRESSIVE GROUP
................... B.S.Sharma is another notable painter whose “Forms in Space” series reaches its apex in No. 37, a work so very simple and yet with a feel of decoratively embossed laceware.
I enjoyed very much seeing your graphics, lithographs, drawings in colour, paintings and your intaglio works today.
I was reminded of the Rajasthan area as you, in the colour and sketch quality captured the essence of the groups of villagers.
I was very impressed with your latest works where you are using a most sensitive technique in the painting and etchings. Figures in reality and abstract move in and out in such a way that one senses the real and unreal as being unified.
Paul Lingrin, Professor of Art
San Diego State University
San Diego, California
The Times of India, Bombay 15 September, 1987
………….Interesting are Bhawani Shanker Sharma’s large whity canvases where the peacock is a hero, behaving and moving as his homo sapien brother. Crocle pen sketching in feathered details with expressive smudges of acrylic give the work a degree of vibrancy. The black and white effects create controlled linear visuals in which no satire is intended, no critical statement is being made. The bird just imitates man.
Indian & World Arts & Crafts, December 1995
“A Tete-a-tete at Patnitop”
…………..A study of the various profiles of nature would unmistakably lead to the `flowering of forms’. The exponent of this new form of evolution and emergence of the sprouting forms, Dr Bhawani Shankar Sharma has a lot to his credit in the form of successful one man shows in India and abroad. Famous for his colourful `Rajasthani Fair Series’ and his graphics of peacocks, Dr Sharma has been experimenting with the `Flowering of Forms Series’. In the Camp, he chose his subject from nature which he brought alive on the canvas through his simple forms. His canvas reflected the Deodar and Cheed trees with a rising of human head splashed with red, blue, black and grey spelling the bloom of a new form.
Rajasthan Patrika (Sunday Magazine), August 17,1997
Dr.Bhawani Shanker Sharma : A multi-faceted artist
………….Simple in demeanour, and sharp in intellect, Dr. Bhawani Shanker Sharma (52) belongs to a rare genre of artists in the State who have achieved unusual mastery over various techniques of paintings like traditional, modern, graphics, realistic and abstract.
Dr. Sharma with his deep insight into his imaginative and creative bent of mind, elegantly combines some of finer aspects of traditional style with contemporary modern trends to produce art-works of amazing beauty, extraordinary charm and magical effect.
Patrika Turning Point, 26 April, 2001
…………..Dr. Bhawani Shanker Sharma’s colourful Acrylic series on the “Fair”; and his pen and ink sketches attracted critic’s applause.
HT Jaipur Live, April 13, 2001
“For the sake of art”
…………Dean of the faculty of Fine Arts, Banasthali Vidhyapeeth, Dr. Bhawani Shankar Sharma who is also one of the participants said that people often comment that they do not understand art and are ignorant about the finer nuances.
Such workshops and seminars said Dr. Bhawani Shankar Sharma work towards building bridges and filling the gap that exists. Dr Sharma added that he would be displaying five to six of his acrylic and oil paintings and a few sketches.
His paintings capture the spirit and the vivacity of a village fair. He uses space to recreate the movement of the villagers and bestows them with a life like vitality.
“Bhawani Shanker : A Great exponent of graphic art”
…………Simple in disposition and mild-mannered Dr Bhawani Shanker Sharma (50) from Banasthali (Rajasthan) has earned his place among a galaxy of some of the finest graphic artists of the country. With his imaginative bent of handling the process of print making.
Being deeply overwhelmed by extra-ordinary simplicity and innocence in the folk life of Rajasthan, Bhawani Shanker with bright and sharp colours and sketch quality, has captured the essence of a group of villagers of this desert. In his latest works, Sharma is applying sensitive technique in painting and sketching in which figures in figurative and abstract forms move in and out in such a way that one senses the real and unreal as being unified.